Below is a summary of the Coalition’s submission to the select committee on Animal Cruelty laws in NSW. Following that is the full submission with three attachments in .pdf format.
The Coalition’s National President Dennis Anderson has been invited to present to the committee at 2pm on 13 February 2020 at the Parliament of NSW. The committee began its inquiry in the third week of October 2019 and will report by 2 April 2020
Summary of submission recommendations
- supports the amending of the GWIC Rehoming Policy to limit euthanasia to those greyhounds suffering from an intractable condition or injury that causes significant pain or discomfort or a marked reduction in quality of life, such that it is inhumane or would otherwise compromise the welfare of the greyhound.
- supports changes to legislation and regulation to allow government instrumentalities and private animal welfare charities to track, monitor and conduct routine proactive welfare inspections of all greyhounds throughout their entire natural lives.
- supports changes to the Betting Tax Act 2001 to provide all the financial resources necessary to fund government instrumentalities and private animal welfare charities to track monitor, conduct routine proactive welfare inspections, investigate and prosecute, where necessary, offences against the POCTAA for all greyhounds throughout their entire natural lives.
- supports the CPG proposal for greyhound sanctuaries.
- supports changes to the Betting Tax Act 2001 to provide all the financial resources necessary to fund greyhound sanctuaries.
- supports the CPG proposal for NSW Government funding, using funds raised by the Betting Tax Act 2001, for private greyhound rehoming organisations
- determines which is the most appropriate organisation or organisations to undertake the whole of life tracking, monitoring, conduct of routine proactive welfare inspections, investigation and prosecution, where necessary, of offences against the POCTAA for all greyhounds throughout their entire natural lives
- supports the recommendations of the UTS report on greyhound tracks
- supports a suspension of racing at those tracks which do not meet the standards detailed in the UTS report until those tracks have been upgraded to these standards
- supports the limiting of greyhound racing fields to 6 dogs
- requires GRNSW to provide details of the measures undertaken to date to implement the recommendations of the UTS report.
- Our Submission:
Final SUBMISSION TO SELECT COMMITTEE ON ANIMAL CRUELTY V8
- Attachment One: Disappeared Greyhounds:
Attachment 1 DISAPPEARED GREYHOUNDS V3
- Attachment Two: Greyhound Sanctuaries:
Attachment 2 GREYHOUND SANCTUARIES V5
- Attachment Three: Funding for Greyhound Rescue Groups:
Attachment 3 FUNDING GREYHOUND RESCUES V4