This is Dr Gullone’s speech given at the Melbourne rally on February 7th, 2016.
Good morning and thank-you all for coming today to give your voice to the most exploited and abused breed of dog in the world.
We are all here today at this Nationwide rally to let governments in Australia know that time is up for greyhound racing.
The year 2015 was a truly historic one. The fallout of numerous exposes following the 4 Corners live baiting investigation has been industry-shattering.
Never before in the history of Australian greyhound racing have people been as well-informed about this gruesome, archaic and barbaric industry.
Why do we want it to end?
- Excessive Sacrifice of Life
- The Greyhound Racing Industry is the biggest and the cruelest Puppy Farm in Australia. As many as 17,000 young and healthy greyhounds are killed EVERY YEAR because they are not useful for racing.
- Illegal Practices and Corruption found to be endemic and rampant
- As many as 90% of trainers are alleged to be involved in live baiting.
- Doping of dogs with banned and illegal substances including Cocaine, Viagra, and Ice is rampant in the industry.
- Cruelty on the Track
- An average of 4 to 5 dogs are injured every week on the track and many are killed despite having treatable injuries.
- Races are held in hot temperatures despite real concerns about heat stroke and consequent likely death of dogs. According to Greyhound Racing Victoria’s Hot Weather Policy, races should be cancelled only at temperatures higher than 38 degrees Celsius.” Most dogs don’t even want to go for a walk on such hot days!
- Quality of Life Issues
- When not on the track, most racing greyhounds spend up to 23.5 hours in solitary confinement, prison-like kennels without access to stimulation or socialization. They’re let out for 10 minutes three times per day – primarily to relieve themselves.
- Other Cruel Practices
- Some dogs who don’t make it to the racetrack are routinely given away to medical or vet schools to be experimented on or to have their blood drained – and then are killed.
- More than 100 dogs are exported every year to jurisdictions with no animal welfare laws including Macau, where they are subject to poor living conditions, risk of serious injury and a certain death because there is no adoption program available.
- State Government Subsidies
- State governments contribute millions of dollars of taxpayer money to this industry. With a growing majority of taxpayers opposing this industry, governments have no ethical ground upon which to do this.
Shut It Down
We call on governments around the country to end greyhound racing, and with this to put an end to the unnecessary euthanasia of thousands of healthy dogs on a yearly basis. To put an end to the incentives to live bait and dope dogs. And to put an end to the export of Australian dogs to countries where they will without exception be killed when they stop racing.
We say to the governments in Australia – It is time to Shut It Down and End Greyhound Racing.